Cal Sci Windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MrPMS
Double Lifer

Cal Sci Windshield

Post by MrPMS »

I know we have talked this thing to death but as a new R12R rider I'm still uncertain as to what's best for me. I'm 5'-8'', 29" inseam, and have the Tall seat, but unlike Don E. I found the BMW Tall shield totally too noisy.
I then ordered and quickly returned a Cee Bailey 16'' for the same reason.
So far my favorite riding is with NO shield and my trusty Shoei RF800, but the wind does get to me after 70MPH. When that happens I put my feet on the back pegs and also have rotated the bars forward a few degrees for more lean.
I'm now considering a Cal Sci 21'', a BMW Sport shield, or the Z Tech 24'' in that order. Any comments from riders of similar stature???
Also does anyone know of a source for lowered passenger pegs? Suburban doesn't do them yet.
Lastly, I much appreciate the huge amount of info I've been able to absorb from this site both before and after getting this bike. I'm the guy who switched from the R90S bought new and ridden solely since '75....
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Cal Sci Windshield

Post by deilenberger »

Actually Don E found the BMW Tall Shield gave him windblast right in the wrong spot - about midway up his helmet, which was noisy, buffetting, and left bugs from mid faceshield up. Since you're using a tall seat, and have a few inches of inseam on me - I'd expect close to the same.

OK - ones you asked about: CalSci - jury still out on it. Lots of us experimented with it - and I think the conclusion was - on tbe BMW touring shield bracket it's too upright. They now sell it with some spacers for the bottom mounts to help tip it back a bit. I also found it to be a bit of a sail - wind blast off trucks and gusts of wind were really felt (controllable - but felt.) I have a modified stock tall shield mount (member here sent it to me Hi DOUG! to play with..) that pushes the bottom out about 1.25" - I want to try the CalSci on this modified mount.

Z-Technic, I think Joe Finn (ChiTown) is one of the few people enthusiastic about it, and still using it. A lot of people have bought and sold them. I'll let others fill you in on why.

BMW Sport Shield - actually works quite well, but won't offer much more protection than you have now. And you'll still get the wind blast problem 70MPH and up. It did provide the quietest ride of any, completely turbulence free - with my Shuberth C2 helmet. Problem is - I need more chest protection than it gives.

I'm currently running the CB 18" on the modified BMW mount. It's not awful - but a bit of turbulence creeps in at about 75-80. Not awful - but not perfect. The 16" feels quite good on that mount, no discernable turbulence reaching my helmet (putting my hand up - there is some - about 6" over the top of my helmet.) Good hot weather setup. Don't think it will provide enough protection for winter riding. I haven't tried my 18" CB yet - have to do that, and I haven't tried the VarioScreen on the new mount - have to do that.

Best,
Don (who owns a lot of windshields - I think 6 at the moment..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

Thanks for all the info. Does ANYONE out there have a setup they're happy with??
Meanwhile, I'd like to buy the BMW Sportshield if someone has one to sell. Contact me off line....
dlemisch

Post by dlemisch »

I am very happy with my Parabellum tall windshield for the R1200R. It is inexpensive, $200, and you do not have to buy the BMW tall shield bracket for an additional $100 as you do with the CB and CalSci. It comes with everything you need. I'm 6'0" and the wind hits me at about the top 1/3 of my helmet, but no buffeting, or at least not enough to make the ride uncomfortable. If you're 5"9", my guestimate would be that the wind would go right over the top of your helmet. My only criticism, and this is minor, is the mounting hardware does not seem quite as heavy-duty as most other BMW parts. But it's very functional and does the job just fine. If I had it to do again, I'd get the smoke color instead of the clear. It would go better with the granite grey and I'm sure make the bike go faster.
Good luck with your decision.
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

I have the CalSci tall screen modified by adding plastic spacers about 1" adjustable to 1 1/2 inches out from the bottom of the mount. The spacers are some plastic foam tubes about 1 1/2 inches diameter similar to the plastic foam used to insulate air conditioner pipes or water pipes. This stuff came as the packaging used to protect some 1kw ultraviolet bulbs that are used as air cleaners in my HVAC unit. I saved the stuff because it looked interesting and it came in really handy to make an adjustable windscreen.

I am happy with the result: no buffet at legal cruise speeds, and quiet, although I still use earplugs, or my Apple ear buds connected to the XM/GPS setup. :biggrin:
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

dlemisch ... How many miles do you have with the parabelum setup? I am looking and like the parabelum windshield and probably will buy one.

And a smoke colored windshield to add speed to your granite grey R1200R is a good idea ... shoulda bought a silver R like me. Because as everyone knows ...the silvers are the fastest.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
dlemisch

Post by dlemisch »

Robert,
I have about 1500 miles on the Parabellum Sport Shield. It was extremely easy to install (I am no wrench and had no problems at all). I was really having some issues with the stock screen at speeds over 60 mph, very uncomfortable and slightly scary. With the Parabellum I've had the bike up to 90 with no problem and cruising at 60-70 is an absolute pleasure. The bike seems more stable and even the mirrors seem more clear without the vibration. The tall sport shield is very tall. It comes in 24" and 26". So you may want to measure from the top of your headlight and make sure that you can see over it before you purchase. I'm not crazy about the idea of looking through the windshield all the time. Good luck.
Dan
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Hi All, I have three screens for my r12r. The factory sport screen that I never use and 18" and 20" Cee Baileys screens. Basically use 18" screen for the three warmer sessions (oz weather) and the 20" for winter or touring in colder regions. Having said that I can't remember the last time I switched screen. The 18" for me is a good all round option. I am around 5'7''. The reason I bought the two Cee Baileys is because I couldn't figure out what would work for me just by reading posts or info over the internet. If I had to choose one then I would say the 18" because I do find the 20" is a little too tall and the factory doesn't really do much for me and would rather have nothing if that was the only option.
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?
Groucho Marx