Advice for first road trip

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dlemisch

Advice for first road trip

Post by dlemisch »

I've been riding my very first motorcycle, my R1200R, for exactly one year and am embarking on my first extended road trip. I'm going from Detroit, Michigan, to Columbia, South Carolina, for business in June. It's about 800 miles. I need advice on what to bring by way of clothing, spare parts, and things that a newb like me may not think of. Also, I'd really appreciate advice on particularly scenic routes through West Virginia.
Many thanks.
Dan
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Re: Advice for first road trip

Post by Mollygrubber »

lol, great timing - check out the Cross Country R12R thread...
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Dan,

Here are the emergency items I keep packed in my right side case, at all times:

Small air compressor
Tire plugger kit
1 qt of BMW oil (packed in the nylon carrier that you can buy from the BMW auto dealer for $5; comes with paper funnels)
1 Surefire tactical flashlight (very bright - could be used as a makeshift headlight)
1 battery powered emergency flasher
Frogg Toggs rain suit (very compressable)
Waterproof glove covers
1 pair of Rok Staps
1 cargo bungee net
1 pair of Kwiktwist ties (google them- you can buy them online, usually from marine supply stores)
Small can of Plexus
2 microfiber towels (the size of a washcloth)
Several pairs of vinyl surgical gloves (if you have to do dirty, messy repair work or perform first aid on a bloody cut, these will keep your hands clean)
1 small container of Purel antibacterial cleaner (cleans your hands, if you have to do the repair work and forgot to don the surgical gloves)
Small first aid kit (including Neosporin, Motrin, Tylenol)
1 Mylar space blanket (if you break down in the cold/rain, it will keep you warm. also can be used as a ground cover)
35 mm film case filled with quarters (if your cell phone fails, phone booths don't take dollar bills)
Clear shield (I ride with a mirror shield during the day, so I need to change shields for nightime)
Half cover (Aerostich makes a very small, however, expensive one)
Small retractable combination cable lock (also from Aerostich)

The left side case I use for clothes and my shaving kit/medicines (Hey, I'm an old guy with cardiovascular disease). I also use a Bags Connection seat bag for clothes. I stay at motels, so I don't need tents, sleeping bags stoves, or camping gear. I can stay at some decent hotels for what you will spend on tents, sleeping bags, etc. I spent three years in the US Army, so that got the camping bug out of my system. My only requirements for a motel are that it has a clean bed and a hot shower. Actually, I have a third requirement - it has to be reasonably quiet, so I can get a good night's sleep. That means no wedding parties, teenagers on class trips or middle aged guys in softball leagues (all of these involve noise enhanced either with/or without alcohol). I have stories to match all of these examples of impairment to restful sleep, which I can share in another post.

Here are some tips for clothes:

Take old t-shirts/underwear that you can discard after wearing once. You can use these to clean off the bike in the morning and throw them away. Employing these old items serves two purposes:
1. You can buy new replacement t-shirts at rallies/bike shops where you stop along the way.
2. Discarding the old used items gives you more room to pack your other stuff or for souvenirs you acquire along the way.
Don't pack jeans. I buy the lightweight Supplex pants from REI that have the zip off legs. You then have a very compressable item that gives you two changes of clothing - a pair of pants or shorts.
Pack a windshirt - it is much more compact than a sweatshirt and can be used to layer under your riding jacket, in case you experience a cold front/high elevation drop in temperature that makes you wish you had something to ward off the chill.
Pack a polo type shirt with a collar, in case you want to eat out somewhere and look somewhat respectable.
Pack a pair of running shoes to wear when you are done riding for the day. Motorcycle boots will wear your feet out, if you have to walk any distance. I also wear these running shoes around the motel, so I don't have to go down to the lobby in my bare feet. Also good for walking across the street to the restaurant (fashionably attired in your polo shirt and Supplex pants/shorts).

I use a MotoFizz Through tank bag, which has all kinds of wonderful pockets/compartments for the sunglasses cell phone, digital camera, paper maps and other items I don't wish to carry in the side cases or seat bag.

Sorry for the length of this post, but this is what I do for touring trips, whether they are for 600 miles (my shortest touring trip) or 1,800 miles (my longest touring trip).

Hope this helps!

Bill
Last edited by fastdogs2 on Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I forgot to mention that I have the Cee Baily nylon bag liners for the BMW hard cases. You can pack all of your stuff in these and when you arrive at the motel or campsite, you can leave the hard bags on the bike and carry the bag liners into your room/tent.

Kathy's luggage at Bob's BMW dealership in MD also makes these bag liners. BMW has their own brand of liners, but they, like most BMW logo items, are more expensive than the Cee Baily or Kathy's versions.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

dlemisch wrote:I've been riding my very first motorcycle, my R1200R, for exactly one year and am embarking on my first extended road trip. I'm going from Detroit, Michigan, to Columbia, South Carolina, for business in June. It's about 800 miles. I need advice on what to bring by way of clothing, spare parts, and things that a newb like me may not think of. Also, I'd really appreciate advice on particularly scenic routes through West Virginia.
Many thanks.
Dan
AHHHH... West Virginia.

Might I suggest poking around: http://www.eilenberger.net/Trip_Reports/Trips.htm

All three trips include riding in West Virginia.. no place I'd rather ride actually. Wonderful people, wonderful roads.

As far as clothing - what sort if riding gear do you have? I'm a big Aerostich Roadcrafter fan because it is so versitile - and ready for most anything the weather Dogs throw at you. It simplifies my gear selection. For clothing - bring your heated gear - there will be days you'll want it. Other then that - normal stuff... I never carry more then about 5-6 days worth of clothes. By then I've found someplace to wash the clothes and am ready to go another 5-6 days. If you're camping vs motelling - there are different gear requirements.

Spare parts? Nothing particularly I can think of for an R12R - you do want a tire plugging kit of some sorts and a way to inflate a tire. If you have it - chances are you won't need it for your bike (I've used mine on riding partner's bikes several times.)

Oh - bring money. And enjoy the ride. Make sure on the ride that you never HAVE to be anywhere at any time. That adds to the enjoyment, allows you to wander a bit, and makes it safer for you since you're not pushing to get somewhere. Allow a 2 day window for your arrival for business, and your return date home - if you get awful weather - sit it out and relax. Read a book, catch up on TV, browse the web..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Michael Hart
Basic User

Post by Michael Hart »

My first road trip was a 2000 mile ride in 4 days Orlando to St Louis and back. Throttle lock was a must have for me.
and you need gear for any weather, we hit 29 degree 1 morning then 90 degree the next afternoon. then Rain.
pack light, eat light. I am heading to Tenn next weekend from Ct ,this time I will have an MP3 player. (anyone interested in going.)
Mike :D
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Bike gear - best plan is to have services done and tyres OK before you go ... and know where dealers are!
- torx spanners (I have a nifty kit with allen keys as well)
- tyre kit (and will get an inflator for my next big trip)
- duct tape & silicone sealant / adhesive (but don't often bother - nothing has ever gotten loose on this bike)
My bike uses a little oil still, but I've never had a problem getting it along the way.

Ride gear
- waterproof suit ... I have a BMW Tourguard suit that never leaks so don't need anything else
- SPARE waterproof gloves .. all gloves get wet eventually and the best solution is a fresh pair while the first dries
- waterproof boots ... & coat with a hydrophobic rub (I use Zamberlan one, there are lots about)
- thermal layer ... I use merino longs / top & polarfleece top, enough for cold in Australia (yes it does snow)
- hyrdation pack (camelback or similar) - a must in Australia

Dilly bag - never leave home without
- torch, headtorch, good knife (spyderco), lighter, silk balaclava & liner gloves, compass, multitool (Leatherman)

And the MOST essential
- butane / propane stove (MSR pocket rocket), small butane mix can, espresso maker, coffee, flexible water flask

Clothing, I'm with most suggestions about windproof, poly-mix shirts / slacks: don't crease, pack small, clean quickly and dry instantly .. and fibrepile for warmth. We get great merino wool undershirts here - as lights as polypropolene but warmer and still wicks moisture off your skin. Substitute for coolmax in summer, or take both (they pack very small). Shoes - I carry small Timerland boat shoes: quite presentable & take up little space. My favourite travel garment is the windproof fibrepile vest - packs small but keeps your core warm in any weather. I also take a waterproof (goretex) hat & jacket if I'm camping or it's a long trip (motorcycle jackets ain't all that comfy as daywear).

Camp gear - this setup means I don't need campground tables etc: a chair is soooo much kinder to your back ....
- one pannier: sleeping bag / thermarest / crushable pillow / stove, fuel & pots, plate etc / light (powers off bike)
- custom bag on seat: tent / tarp-fly (large square w guylines & poles) /roll chair / roll table
- topcase: food / wine / coffee setup / warm gear for the day /extra bag & Andystrapz for extra provisions

I use only a tiny tankbag (SW Motech Quicklock with Bags Connection Daypack II) - spare gloves, phone, wallet, camera, dillybag, tollpass, maps.

and LAST: a list! Too easy to forget stuff! :oops:

I've used this system, or a variant of it, for week-plus rides over 20 years. If it fails, it's because I forgot to check my list!
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
dlemisch

Post by dlemisch »

Many thanks to those of you who provided advice for my first long road trip. 2000 miles round trip from Detroit to Charleston, South Carolina. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, West Virginia was clearly made for motorcycles. Thanks for the suggestions of Frog Togs (kept me bone dry); Alaska Leather (saved my butt, literally): and Rok Straps (which held my riding clothing when the heat was just too much). The bike performed flawlessly and handled great in the mountains as well as on the interstate. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but what a wonderful machine! Safe riding.

famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Dan,

I'm glad your trip was a success. Were you camping or moteling? Your bike looks lightly laden. Tell us what all you ended up taking. What kind of tank bag is that in the picture?

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

You didn't go through Gatlinburg did you? If so please don't hold that experience against the rest of us in Tennessee. I live 50 miles from Gatlinburg and you will never find me there. I wish I had thought to warn you earlier.
Good looking bike.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer

Post by famousperson »

celticus wrote:You didn't go through Gatlinburg did you? If so please don't hold that experience against the rest of us in Tennessee. I live 50 miles from Gatlinburg and you will never find me there. I wish I had thought to warn you earlier.

Mark
I went through Gatlinburg on my Southern sojourn last year. OMG. I wish someone had warned me!
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

famousperson wrote:
celticus wrote:You didn't go through Gatlinburg did you? If so please don't hold that experience against the rest of us in Tennessee. I live 50 miles from Gatlinburg and you will never find me there. I wish I had thought to warn you earlier.

Mark
I went through Gatlinburg on my Southern sojourn last year. OMG. I wish someone had warned me!
Ditto.

Saw the bypass highway - figured mebbe there was something interesting in Gatlinburg, so I bypassed the bypass and headed for downtown. MISTAKE! Probably the most intense and concentrated tackiness I've ever seen. And a lot of big hair. Plus simply awful traffic so you get to take it all in. It's my intent to never let myself experience it again.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Gatlinburg is a blight on the face of creation.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
ryansears
Basic User

Post by ryansears »

Congrats on your first trip. I just took my first long extended trip myself. I drove from NYC to Boston, with stops in CT both ways. Had a great time and learned a lot. I was very very ill prepared but lucked out quite a bit with the weather. Things I will definitely have for my next trip, rain suit and looking into a new seat. I found that I needed to stop about every hour and and half to get off and walk around. Being so hot and the seat not being so comfortable, it took its toll after a while. Two things I am grateful that I had, my navigation and the Scala Headset. Never got lost and some light music in the background to enjoy the road and the scenery. I definitely agree with a lot of the above posts about timing. Its so much fun knowing you dont have to be anywhere on time and just getting lost sometimes. Having the navigator got me right back where I needed to go. I also took the long route to avoid major highways. But the seat, man. Im still feeling it today.
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer

Post by famousperson »

ryansears wrote:...[snip]... But the seat, man. Im still feeling it today.
I was completely prepared to bite the bullet and spend $600+ for a custom seat after my 2000 mile trip last year. This year, however, I did a similar 2000 miles and really didn't have much of a problem. Either the seat or my butt must have gotten broken in.

I get off the bike after no more than 2 hours, anyway, to de-tingle my hands and loosen my shoulders and back. If I was going to do any Iron Butt riding I would still get the seat, but at this point I no longer feel it is necessary.

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
lewellen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 635

Post by lewellen »

dlemisch wrote:I've been riding my very first motorcycle, my R1200R, for exactly one year and am embarking on my first extended road trip. I'm going from Detroit, Michigan, to Columbia, South Carolina, for business in June. It's about 800 miles. I need advice on what to bring by way of clothing, spare parts, and things that a newb like me may not think of. Also, I'd really appreciate advice on particularly scenic routes through West Virginia.
Many thanks.
Dan
Okay, this is a little late, but...

There were many good suggestions given as to what to bring, and so forth. They were all good, however, my experience suggests that there are three things to bring which, for me, are usually the most important.

The first is time: time for things to go wrong, time to chase down the odd interesting-looking road, time so you don't feel pressured on what should be a fun trip.

The second is a sense of humor, especially when things go off-kilter. Case in point: trying to change a '76 Gold Wing's tire from a road tire to a dirt tire on the floor of a B&B's garage, in Fairbanks, AK, can be either infuriating or hilarious ... especially when it's the second time you've ever changed a motorcycle tire and you're heading up to Prudhoe the next day.... Take it from me, the trip's a lot more fun if you see it as funny.

The third is a major credit card with a sufficient line of credit to "fix" most problems you might encounter.... This works synergistically with the above items, e.g. part breaks, you can laugh it off because you have time to get it FedEx'd in from the nearest dealer.

Good roads,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
dlemisch

Post by dlemisch »

Again, many thanks for all the comments. I DID go through Gatlinberg, TN on the way home. That was my first and also my last trip through. Ditto on the mega tackiness. But hey, it's income for someone so who am I to criticize. Still, never again. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I came across Pigeon Forge, TN. It outdid Gatlinberg. Don't get me wrong, the rest of Tennessee was just amazing, especially around Andersonville on north. The Norris damn was great. I was moteling, but will consider camping next time. Had plenty of room for extra gear with the two system cases and my new/used top case. I'm thinking of buying a seat bag as I'll be traveling solo. Any suggestions of a big seat bag that can double as a back rest? One thing I learned, don't wear a short sleeved shirt while riding in the sun. I usually wear a protective/armored mesh jacket, but the heat was just too much. The short sleeves left me with the worst sunburn I've had in years. No pain, but I look as though I have leprosy. So, long sleeves from here on in. The Smoky Mountains were great, but a little touristy. For me, West Virginia takes the prize for scenery, great roads, lack of tourists and at times people in general. Tank bag is a First Gear, which worked fine. The bike, our bike, is just awesome. What a perfect combination of power, handling and confidence-building reliability. It ran perfectly for 2000 miles. I stayed on back roads the entire trip with very few miles on the Interstates. No gps, just a map and some pre-planned directions obtained from an hour on google maps. The back roads in the Carolinas were great too. Made it to Charleston and drove to the ocean and jumped in at Palm Island. What a great feeling. Safe riding.