"New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SDMAX
Basic User

"New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield

Post by SDMAX »

NEW PARABELLUM REPLACEMENT WINDSHIELD
FOR THE BMW R1200R USING STOCK BMW HARDWARE

Has anyone tried this windshield yet. I know that the R1200R and the various windshield options have been beated to death on this forum; I've read probably every post, some a lot more than once. I've got the stock tall BMW deal and I replaced that with a 15" shield from Cee Bailey that I had them make for me. Straight across on top, no semi reverse lip.

At the time that seemed like a good idea as I thought I could fit a real Laminar Lip on it from the windshield from the R1100R that got traded in on the R1200R---didn't work out; I am also having the local plastic place make a shield for me that probably won't work.

So---in the ongoing process of retroactive research and validation I now find that Parabellum is now making a windshield that fits the BMW tall touring mount without having to buy their Scout fairing; just another bolt on replacement windshield ---joining Cee Bailey and Cal Science who make similar offerings.

In all the forums, there are a very few riders who like Cee Bailey and very few who like Cal Science; and, a few who like either one as long as they block up the bottom of the shield.....and I have learned more about everyone's inseam and seat than I ever wanted to know.

So the question remains. Has anyone bought and tried out the Parabellum Replacement Windshield? Just bolted one on and rode with it? Is it really "new" ---haven't called them yet but I will and I may get my personal design windshield tomorrow as well.

Basically, on the one I'm having made, I went as "tombstone" as I could go using the bottom of a Cee Bailey replacement to ensure instrument and turn signal clearance, then wide and up from there to an overall vertical of 21 inches top to bottom....I'll let you know. I'll have to "bend" it around the four mounting points and drill insert the rubber grommets and I know it will accept my old Laminar Lip so it might work, and I will be able to cut it down easily; but, it in the meantime....how about that "new" Parabellum replacement windshield....comes in two heights; so I guess I'll hear more about inseams and seats, but then, what are pals for anyway.

I have a feeling the Scout Fairing and the various windshields that work with that stuff from Parabellum might be great; I just don't want to pay for the fairing and I'm pretty sure I don't want the bike to look like that although I bet it would work....Also, I've gotten an email back from Madstadt and their truly bitchin adustable mount will not work on the R1200R due do the fact that the back of our instruments projects too far back to allow the Madstadt piece to work unless they do more engineering which they won't do right now.

I've also thought about WUDU and the various German options. I just think, hope and pray that the two new heights from the replacement Parabellum deal might be the cheese. If so I can bolt on my stock tall touring for local rides; and do the five minute replacement for the big guy Parabellum for slab over the ground distance covering.
Thanks. JWH
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: "New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield

Post by ka5ysy »

Now you know the angst most of us have gone through with windscreens ! Good luck with the project and keep us posted (with photos please!). :lol:

(I am a modified-tilt Calsci tall user)

BTW: Hows your seat ???
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

The Parabellum screens that I've seen in pictures appear to be wider at the top than the Cee Baileys or Cal-Sci. It could be quieter as a result, but I haven't tried one myself.
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Actually, the pictures of the "New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield have that "tombstone" look, wider all the way up and rounded off; this was kind of what I was going for on the one I'm building. Since mine is "one off" it will be a flat piece of the good stuff, I think acrylic, that will have to be "bent" around and fastened to the existing BMW tall mount.

My guy at the plastic place rides a BMW and we did this same build for the WUDO fairing on my R1100R and it worked; but then on the R1100R, I had a fairing to play with. The attachment was completely different as the shield attached at the bottom in 6 places including the two bottom corners so the "bend around" was not easy, but doable.

A manufacturer like Prabellum can set all this up and do the heat thing and come up with a mold and make a lot nicer product. Mine will probably maybe tell me if I am going in the right direction. The "tombstone" look is what I"ve seen on happily cruising big ass Harley riders and while I haven't looked at the RT shield lately, I think it's kind of "tombstone" as well. I think "wide" is good; I think a half of the problem is what comes around the side of all the screens tried on the forum. I think it's a big problem for Cee Bailey as they actually go more narrow as you look higher up the screen. I was stoked to see a pre manufactured replacement screen from Cal Sci but then read all the unhappy rpts. I do believe tilt on a more narrow screen is a big part of how members have been getting their shields more quiet.

I had a Cee Bailey cut at 15 inches before it got more narrow but my old Laminar Lip would not stay on as it was still a lot more narrow that the shield I had installed on the WUDO fairing which was wide.....but not too tall....see here's the deal, allowing for a different attachment points on the bottom of the Wudo fairing; the shield itself was about the equivalent of a 16 inch Cee Bailey on an R1200R....e.g. ok to see over the top of the shield by a lot and not see through it. What carried the day was the Laminar Lip that threw the air up and over the helmet by another 6 inches, making it the shield the equivalent of a see through 22 inch shield. That's where I'm going.

Wide to take care of the around the shield noise; wide to the top to allow for a Laminar Lip; or, if anybody out there has got a "New" Parabellum Replacement on their bike --- that could be the deal. Thanks. I know this has been beaten to the death. I am trying to do this in a collection of less than 6 windshields and no fairing.

Hey just got off the phone with "Charlie" at Parabellum; he says the replacement has been out a couple of years; his parameters in desiging were to go wider and use existing factory tall mount. Also, he says some of the other replacements go up a ways and then kick more forward which acts like an air brake; he goes in the direction and subject to the limitations of the original factory mount design. He is not doing any builds until after next week so I'll try mine which will at least give me an idea as to whether I want to go 22 or 24 inches on his; then I'm pretty darn sure I'll be ordering his as mine is not going to accomplish the wrap around without looking like amateur hour. Also, he was aware of getting too much shield and affecting handling. He said they are easy to trim with a bandsaw so I may go 24 and then cut down to easy see over then run up to the Laminar Lip people and install one of those. More to be revealed.

So same question anyone tried one of these? JWH
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I also have the BMW tall windscreen and I want to try another windshield. However, I don't have a workshop and tools and would prefer a windscreen that I could simply attach to the existing mount, without manufacturing extra pieces or bending the mounts to make it fit. I would like to merely unscrew the nuts/bolts from the BMW mount, remove the BMW screen and attach the "whatever brand" screen in its place.

Why would that not work?

I owned a BMW R1200RT prior to the R1200R and I purchased a Z-Technik screen that was easy to install. I removed the nuts/bolts and took off the stock BMW screen and replaced it with the Z-Technik.

As you have, I have read all of the posts from folks using the Cee Baileys and CalSci and all of the adjustments/fabrication/field modifications to make them work.

Perhaps I am different, but I expect products to work by themselves, as advertised, without additional adjustments/fabrication/field modification by the purchaser.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

I received acceptable performance from a 22" Cee Baily's on the BMW Touring Mount, with the bottom of the mount raised with a spacer under the mounting bracket.

My windshield and bracket were lost in my recent crash. I will use this opportunity to try the 20".

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

fastdogs2 wrote:I also have the BMW tall windscreen and I want to try another windshield. However, I don't have a workshop and tools and would prefer a windscreen that I could simply attach to the existing mount, without manufacturing extra pieces or bending the mounts to make it fit. I would like to merely unscrew the nuts/bolts from the BMW mount, remove the BMW screen and attach the "whatever brand" screen in its place.

Why would that not work?
It will "work" if you're willing to accept less then perfect. Cee-Bailey, CalSci, Parabellum all make shields that will simply bolt up to the BMW mount. As bolted the results aren't all that great, but that's because of the mount, not the shield.
I owned a BMW R1200RT prior to the R1200R and I purchased a Z-Technik screen that was easy to install. I removed the nuts/bolts and took off the stock BMW screen and replaced it with the Z-Technik.

As you have, I have read all of the posts from folks using the Cee Baileys and CalSci and all of the adjustments/fabrication/field modifications to make them work.

Perhaps I am different, but I expect products to work by themselves, as advertised, without additional adjustments/fabrication/field modification by the purchaser.

Bill
Well - good luck on that.

It would only work if everyone was the same size, and had their bikes setup the same. That isn't the case, but it would make BMW's and everyone else who makes stuff for our bikes a lot easier. The R12R isn't an RT (thank Dog!) - and expecting the same protection/quiet that you had with an RT will ALWAYS cause you to be disappointed.

It is NOT a big deal to add a spacer under the stock shield mount. It's probably a 3 minute job (once you get the spacer from Don C..)

The problem that the aftermarket vendors are dealing with in making shields for the R12R with the factory touring mount is - the factory touring mount is made for a much more curved shape shield then people seem to want. The more upright shields made by the aftermarket vendors DO provide more protection, but don't work particularly well using the stock shield mount. They simply can't provide the increased size AND a curved shield that would work well with the factory mount angle. I'm guessing plastic can't be bent that far.

If you want bolt-up satisfaction you might consider the Wudo 2-piece adjustable shield (it's actually made by umm.. MRV or MVR comes to mind - but I could be wrong..) It has an adjustable mount and adjustable tilt and adjustable height. So you should be able to adjust it to suit YOU. That's as close as a bolt up and go solution, but it isn't going to simply bolt up to the factory mount. One or two people have this and have reported satisfaction with it. I have one in my garage I've been meaning to play with some more.. (I originally modified it to fit the factory touring mount.. but I have their mount and have meant to try it out, even if I loose my GPS mounting point.)

It's REALLY a case of "YMMV" - and no way around that.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

How about the Wudo fairing. Can't you just bolt that thing on?

All I am saying is that I don't have the time, nor the inclination to "tinker." If you enjoy that, fine. I don't condemn anyone who wants to do it themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't have any mechanical aptitude. All my do-it-yourself jobs end up as a disaster and I have to call in the mechanic, plumber, electrician, carpenter after I have botched the work. The first question they ask is, "What idiot did this?" My reply is, "You're looking at him."

The work I do on my bike involves adding "farkles" that are essentially plug and play, like the Weiser LED turn signals, Hyperlites, Touratech side stand footpad, etc. These jobs don't involve a lot of mechanical manipulation or aptitude. If there is a "farkle" that requires complicated electrical or mechanical work, I go to the dealer. They are excellent mechanics. I pay them the money and they do the work. I know it will be done right and work as it supposed to work.

If I tried to bend a plastic windshield or the mounting attachment brackets, I would most likely break either/both of them and then have to buy a replacement part. It would be like the phrase we used to use in the Army- FUBAR.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
Don C
Basic User

Post by Don C »

I've made lots of mistakes and broken a lot of stuff in the past. Sometimes thats just how you have to learn. But I can say with confidence that you're very unlikely to break the touring screen mount by bending the flat parts up a half inch as I suggest. You'd probably have to bend it completely straight and back again 50 times before it would crack. It's steel.
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

I did not find it necessary to bend the BMW Touring Mount to accomodate the spacer. IT flattened out as needed as I tightened the two screws.
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

Pics?
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
AncientMariner
Lifer

Post by AncientMariner »

Here is the link to my windshield storey, with lots of pix:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19676&p=173610&hil ... ld#p173610

Hope this helps. Don C. makes a spacer out of Delrin which is much simpler and more elegant. He was selling them for about $20 as I recall. My aluminium "Ferguson Box" survived my crash, unlike the bracket and windshield.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Long day; but, got home and tackled the install of the windshield I had made. It's overall about 21" made of a flat sheet of polycarbonate. A friend helped me. We got it on the bike, and I now understand a lot more. A limiting factor is indeed the back of the speedometer. We had to use a really strong heat gun to get it bent around and attached at the four points of the touring mount. Once heated and bent we did get it to mount and once bent it did clear the back of the speedometer.

A problem is that now that it's on, it would not be any easier to take it off and put it back on; it will be the same pain. I have contacted Don C. and he will send me a block when he builds his next batch. His pioneer work, along with others on the forum is spot on. No one needs my endorsement, I'm just stating my thanks for the windshield guru's who precede......anyway, I have no idea why BMW did not simply make the tall touring bracket correctly. It would not have taken much to project it a little further out and with addtional rake. I think they were going for a "look" and the shield that mounts with the tall touring bracket does parallel the front forks and the highly curved, expensive "tall" touring windshield does look great on the mount and would probably be the very thing if the demographic of guys buying this bike was 30 years younger.

I rode the tall shield to LA and back last weekend and it was way better than I remembered. Now that I know what the thing cost, I'm going to be a lot more careful with it. I think it is at least half of the windshield answer. I had been riding a 15 inch Cee Bailey, which was off and being used as the template for the bottom of my home made deal.

The rest of the answer will be the 24 inch Parabellum replacement I'll get in a couple of weeks as "Charlie" took this past week off; you know when you are in trouble when you know these guys on first name basis......Because he has designed it and molded it, it will clear the speedo back and go on and off as easily as the "tall" BMW product. I'll just switch back and forth. And, both will work better with the Don C. modification.....I think at that point I'm done.....Unless of course this gets solved by BMW on the 2011 model. I'm not ready for an RT, but a new R1200R might be in the cards.

My home made shield is quite tall, but the air coming over the top would still be a pain on a long cruise. I will probably be "looking through" the 24" Parabellum replacement, but I think that just may be how it ends up. If the Don C. block really helps, I may be able to go a little lower. Summers in San Diego back country will be with the BMW touring shield.

About the only way for me to go shorter otherwise would be with the addition of a Laminar Lip. I stuck my old lip on my home made tonight and took it for a quick spin. It was better and probably still not what a 24 inch Parabellum would be, but....it was truly ugly....way to much awful stuff hung on the front of the bike. Also it popped half way off when I did a couple of my newly learned Total Control II skill nearly full throttle upshifts without the clutch. Woo hoo....kind of sheds those 30 years.

More to be revealed.
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Took the "home made" shield for a ride today; almost all on the freeway; it was really noisey from about 70 mph despite ear plugs, then as speed increased came helmet shake to the point of blurring the signage. Worse yet I felt a little "hula" action which I think was quelled by the steering dampner. So it's going into the R and D bin. Back to the BMW "tall" touring screen until the 24 inch Parabellum arrives; Don C is going to get me a block when he gets a new band saw blade. I think I'm getting more acceptance as I come to grips with the reality of the "naked" bike. Having too much shield in front of me today got me going in the "correct" direction. Hope springs. A blocked 24" Parabellum could be the cheese. More to be revealed.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I think you'll find the angle makes all the difference. I put on my winter Cee-Bailey yesterday in prep for a cold ride today (Polar Bear ride.. was 42F when I left this AM..) It's a 20" C-B. It used to be almost intolerable from noise and buffeting (which causes my helmet to shake, and blurred my vision.)

My Touring mount is modified with an extended bottom loop - tilts it back about the same as a 1.5" block would I believe.

It was almost perfect. No noise. No buffetting (up to around 75MPH, plus in heavy headwinds - 35MPH wind gusts and I was doing 60'ish..) If I ducked my head down 2" - I was in clear smooth quiet dead-air space. Almost makes me think I might try the CB 22" one.

Wait until you get the block before spending $$ on other options, I suspect you'll be quite happy with the results.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

I'm using a slightly modified Don C block with my CalSci "tall" windshield, and it just gets smoother right up to 100 mph and beyond. No buffeting and no helmet roar at all, and I usually ride open-faced. With my full-coverage helmet and earplugs the silence is quite eerie. The tilt's the thing, as chairman Eilenberger says.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Update: So here's the deal xprof and I have been in communication; his "tall" Cal Sci is as high as 25" depending on which Cal Sci he's using. Medium is 21". Large is 22 1/2". Keeping in mind my 24" Parabellum is to arrive on Tuesday I got in touch with xprof as I liked the more narrow top part of the Cal Sci viz the barn door sail Parabellum style.

Turns out xprof thought his was too narrow and has added a edge to it; so I decided to leave my order in place on the wide tall muther of all replacement shields, Parabellum.

Meanwhile Don C. is back in the Don C. bracket block biz and immediately shipped me one. I need to work on the bracket a little bit with a friend next week who makes sure I don't do real damage with tools; the arms that attach to the upper end need a 1/2" tweak. But, I have the block on with the BMW tall touring windshield and that seems better. I'm hoping with the Don C., the bracket bend and the to arrive on Tuesday Parabellum that I will be in the land of happy quiet.

As this is my only recreation, I also researched all of the seat threads and ordered a new from BMW low "comfort" seat for about the price of four new 18" Michelins for the big Jag (which I also ordered tonight, 1/2 the price at Costco through Tire Rack, no Calif sales tax, they ship from Reno) ( Since they also are in Calif, there should be sales tax? I did not report myself).

OK so I still had some time so I rolled to the local BMW dealer and checked out a new 1200 RT for an overnight; after a quick 30 mile freeway jaunt, I took it back and got my R1200R back. Now really the RT ride was in the interests of windshield research, so I now offer my report. The windshield on the RT works. Tell you why. It's electric and when you have it all the way down it's like being on an R1200R pretty much. All the way up it's land of happy quiet. BUT ALL THE WAY UP YOU ARE LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDSHIELD, NOT ABOVE IT.

Moment of enlightenment. Bet anything the 24" Parabellum, Don C. tilted is going to do the job. I'll probably be looking through it ----although the "low" BMW comfort seat, replacing the standard existing low seat, is ....guess what...same height as the factory non-comfort standard seat. Is this a problem?

No: with the 24" Parabellum, I should still be looking through RT style; and the seat height viz inseam lenght and torso length ain't such a big deal as it was 5,000 miles ago as I'm riding better and I can handle not being flat footed. Yeah.

OK, so RT thoughts. Here's my revelation. R1200R types if they did not build an R1200R would be figuring out ways to strip down an RT and turn it into an R1200R that is if they got the RT for free from Dad and not their own money and they did not out the door for 20K. RT---nice bike. I'm going to have to be really old to want one. Too much in front of my knees and too civilized. I'm R1200R spoiled. They are kind of insipid they same way I feel about Lexus. And the GS....well just TFU.

OK you say you're gonna have too much freaking quiet with the 24" Parabellum. Two answers. First I can cut it down, but probably will not; Second, I take it off and put on the BMW tall touring for grinning around town and back country. Slab. I'm on the immitation RT barn door sail Parabellum.

OK so I'm almost ready to go to the class, 188 miles of slab from here, next weekend at Willow Springs ...."Streets" of something or other. Have a mushy front brake what needs to bleed...and damn it now that I've ridden the RT I think I got some slop in the first bit of throttle linkage. Also I saw a Cruz tool kit and a tire pressure gauge I can't live without for when I go pick up my Fed Ex from New Jersey "comfort" seat on Tuesday. By the time I get on the road Friday I would have been doing this for less money with a rented Lear Jet.

Life is good.
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

OK, "low" comfort seat is on and squeaks and will need silicon tomorrow, can in the garage was 20 yrs old and had no zoom; the seat is taller and posts rpt it to be same height as standard.

I'm riding better now with at least 5K miles under me since spring and not being flat footed is not a big issue. The new seat seems better, I've got to put some miles on it. But, it's exactly what I expected and as described by others.

The Don C block is on and the touring bracket bent a bunch to make the U clamp on the bottom bracket work. Since I changed a lot of things all at once it's hard to say what's what but I believe it's all positive. I have the 24 inch parabellum "replacement" windshield on; as the new seat is higher and the windshield kicks back more, turns out I do see over the top of it; if anything, it's an inch too much but I won't change it for a while I"ll probably just leave it as is.

I rode a short distance on the freeway with no ear plugs and it was at least tolerable; more importantly the freeway signs were not blurred out from helmet shake and I think I'm there.

I also had adjusted tire pressure using a different gauge and immediately noted way too much air on my brief test ride; went and found my "good" gauge and was overinflated by about 5 lbs on both ends; I am currently running 38/34 I think the book is 36/32...40/35 works ok too; as others have reported the front tire pressure seems to be very critical.

Installed leads directly off the battery tonight to power my small air compressor as there is no lighter outlet or at least not a standard one and the BMW parts counter guy said this set up would be ok for the pump and also ok for my trickle charger.

Picked up the bike today from BMW service; spongey front brake is better, they could not find a problem although they did bleed it and it does seem better; had the bars rotated a little more back on the riser from when I bought the bike; I am just at the point where the brake lines are going to be too tight so I'm there on that.

Had Throttlemeisters installed, no time to test other than to twist it on off.....seems to be a quality product.

Passed on the big Cruz took kit; did by a small set of Cruz torex wrenches what fit along side the std BMW tool kit; also fitting under the seat now is a tire plug kit....the 32 dollar one without the C02 cartridges as my little powered pump fits under the seat too, sans the case with the pump in a sock.

Checked the oil, added a little. Had the bike washed, waxed and detailed, so I think I'm good to go on Friday on my road trip.

Also, bumped up my Automobile Club Premium 100 mile tow coverage to add the motorcyle, less than 13 bucks pro rated; will be 37 bucks a year; won't come into force until middle of next week; but nice to have when you are running around with no spare.

I really do think I've got my windshiled deal done. I'll have a true report on Monday after I get back from the class.
dlemisch

Post by dlemisch »

I have a 26" Parbellum Sport Screen. Pretty close to your replacement screen. I love it. Relatively quiet, good air flow, no buffeting. Here's some photos. Image]; Image; Image
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Very interesting your 26" Parabellum; great pictures show that you are using the Parabellum bracket. The 26" seems the same as the 24" but not really; about half way up you see that the 26" (your screen) really tilts back.

So this is a lot like using the Don C block to tilt back the BMW touring bracket that is on my bike. I suspect yours works better because on mine the whole shield is tilted and on yours there's the wrap around the speedo aspect and then the tilt. A big factor on yours is probably the extra 2 inches.

Are you looking over the top of the shield and if so by how much.
On mine I was pleased to discover that being taller in the morning, I was comfortably seeing over the top by plenty. Was able to see a spot on the ground about 60 feet out in front at the top edge of the shield.

Air is hitting the very top of my helmet. With ear plugs it's way better than it ever has been. I think 22" would be too short for me and put the blast right at my eyes....Presently I can ride with my face plate up until I hit 50-60 MPH.

Doing 200 miles tomorrow, a class, then 200 back on Sunday so I'll really know by then.

Thanks for your pictures and post. John