So lucky

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Witch Doctor
Basic User

So lucky

Post by Witch Doctor »

Well, I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip over the past 5 days. Left sunny Florida and rode up to Deals Gap and played in the Smokies with a couple buddies and thier GS'. Absolute great vacation, a few road side fixes for my buddies, but nothing serious enough to degrade the trip. Well I made the entire trip with no issues, and this evening after cleaning the red clay and road dust off, I decided to go for a quick spin to dry off the bike. Crank up the bike, go to rev the throttle and pull out of the garage and the throttle goes limp, Son of a B%#ch. Damn throttle cable, but hey at least it happened in my garage after the trip ;) Now I just need to rent a trailer and take it to my mechanic, its due for its 36,000 mile service anyway. I will post pictures from the trip once I download. Even got a day off white water rafting in on the Natahala.
"You are a unique person, just like everybody else!!” - Warren Miller
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Re: So lucky

Post by Witch Doctor »

The obligatory photos from my camera, Killboy and the other area photog's have a good quantity of action shots on the "Dragon" that I will post once I get the disc.

Upon arrival at the North Carolina side

Mid week, and apparently it was a Goldwing frenzy

Frm Right to left: me with my RR, and my buddies Pete and Mark with their GS'

The obligatory photo of the bikes at the lookout

And of course the lookout

Of course the "Tree of Shame" but none of my bike is decorating it yet.

I couldn't do a trip to Dragon without getting wet, its just not very fun

Mark

Pete

and me
Witch Doctor
Basic User

More photos

Post by Witch Doctor »

Action photos from Deal's Gap over the course of the vacation.

omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Howdy guys,

a humble question, what kind of safety gear are you wearin? Kevlar jeans? And what is the yellow vest for? Additional protection to replace the kevlar jeans? :roll:

If you kiss the tarmac I'd like to see your skin ...

Brgds
Oliver
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

Really, thats your comment :roll: If its not sarcasm then here is the answer

Vanson Super Vent Jacket with ceramic beads fused to the textile foundation along with CE insert pads at the shoulders, elbows, and back.

Vanson leather gloves with CE inserts

Shoei Helmet (Snell 2010 / DOT)

Heavy trousers and good leather boots.

Who's wearing a yellow vest?
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

don't know who is who on the pics. There is a GS rider with the yellow vest and some other rider with jeans ... Reminds me of the italian summer saftey gear for riders: tanktop, boxershorts, beach sandals and braincap ...

No offense! Everybodies own choice. Here in Germany we had cases where health insurance refused to pay when somebody with "inadequate safety gear" was involved in a crash and got injured as a consequence.

Brgds
Oliver
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

The rider on the GS is actually wearing a Tourmaster 3/4 length textile jacket in Hi-viz with CE pads at the elbow, shoulder, and back.

:-k I think its time for either a bigger computer screen or a trip to the optometrist

Here are some other phot's that I just donloaded, enjoy!

reddingrdr
Basic User

Post by reddingrdr »

Nice photos, thanx for taking the time. RR
libertynh
Basic User

Post by libertynh »

Thanks for the report. Just got back from our vacation riding in Nova Scotia and needed some ideas for future trips. I would post pictures but getTing them off the iPad hasn't worked besides our riding gear is similar and I wouldn't want to offend the all leathers all the time crowd. Here we are in the minority wearing jackets and a helmet. Do like the idea of motorcycle specific pants but cost and the lack of opportunity to try some on is holding me back. In any case thanks for sharing here and Nova Scotia is highly recommended but bring your rain gear.
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

I just can't get into the whole leathered up bit, its not a track day, its a vacation. I guess I spent to much time as a Motorcyle Cop wearing uniforms and half-helmets. Been in a few bike accidents and worked too many to count, and have never felt the need beyond heavy trousers and good leather boots below the waist.
scootrr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 967

Post by scootrr »

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time!
Thanks for sharing!
Scootrr
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I guess I spent to much time as a Motorcyle Cop wearing uniforms and half-helmets.
and not enough time seeing jagged edged tibias poking out or mangled ankles, or closed head injuries on ventilators on the neuro ward, then watching the convalescence over the next few months if they're lucky. And then the rehab, if they're lucky. All directly related to inadequate "protection."

Not meant to flame, but this hobby/whatever of ours can be very unforgiving. Even at the price of discomfort it is prudent to be as protected as possible.

ATTGATT is the only rational argument. I am not saying I always follow it, but I usually do. I used to ride ATTGATT on my Vespa. I know I looked weird, but the physics of my head hitting a curb at 40 mph doesn't care whether it's a Vespa or a BMW that launched me. I changed scoots to have a bike appropriate for my gear. :D

I've always found the dress of motorcycle officers puzzling. These people are trained in both law enforcement and motorcycling (That equals $$$$$), yet they are barely covered-certainly NOT protected- with a thin material uniform and a "half" helmet. If I am paying for them, I want them as protected as can be to protect them and my investment. "Heavy" cotton doesn't last but a few seconds sliding down the road.

and back to on topic...are those Killboy's shots on the Gap? They are done well.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

Yep those are from Killboy and US129.

I won't argue ATTGATT, I worked Fatality for NOPD long enough to know the benefits of protection. Seen plenty of nasty crashes and the bodies to go with it; vehicular and motorcyle, but in my 20 years I never saw anyone die of roadrash. As you can see from the pictures I wear a riding jacket, gloves, heavy trousers, boots, and a full helmet when I ride, but when I worked I had to wear the uniform I was ordered to wear. It was either that or transfer to another unit.

To understand motorcyle unit uniforms in the US, you first have to understand budgeting and fiscal constraints put on departments. Not to mention the historical perception of the motorcycle officer, especially the overwhelming urge by departments to steer away from the para-military (Scary and threatening) publc perception. The full on ATTGATT look would scare the crap out of civilians during day to day interaction.

My department had 1700 officers and was probably the best municipal department where funding was concerned in Louisiana, and they had no desire to go beyond half helmets, cotton shirts, riding pants, and leather boots, then for the few days of the year when it was cold enough, our leather jackets. Does it make it right, no, but there was just not enough to change the mind set of the higher-ups, from a safety, fiscal, or insurance aspect. Unfortunately how the public perceives motorcyle officers plays as big as a role as the rest. Hell when I was on SWAT, we were told we couldn't wear BDU blouses with subdued patches unless we were on a SWAT roll because they looked to intimidating for day to day wear and public interaction. So we wore polo style shirts with BDU pants as our daily uniform. Its dumb, but its the way it is.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Hey, WD!
I was wondering about the La plates!

Hell, we may have seen some of the same accidents, or crossed paths in the Accident Room---I did my residency at CHNO--and I had them in the OR and the floor. The NOPD uniforms are exactly what I am referring to. Those guys don't even wear gloves, do they?

Be safe.

I never saw anyone die of road rash (alone), but road rash keeps some very nasty company, and rarely exists alone. Road rash is essentially a burn, and that is some very "uncomfortable" therapy.

John

and very nice Killboy pix
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

You not joking about MCLA. . . Charity would definitely have been an experiance for residency. We used to always joke if I get shot or am in a bad way, get me to Room 4, and after I'm patched and stable, get me to Tulane :lol:

Mardi Gras on the bikes were the worst, look familar . . .

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Ha
yes, the place was a zoo. But prob just another tip of the same iceberg that you guys saw on the street everyday. What is interesting is that my dad trained there in the late 30s early 40s; I was there from the early 70's to mid 80s; and one daughter trained there in the 90s--different specialties all, but we all had the same stories, it didn't change in over 60 years. Prob the same thing for you guys... a very "colorful" place to live.

Going down to the Warehouse District tonight--"white linen night"
Eating at Cote Sud on Maple and tomorrow The Satchmo fest at the Mint and the Faubourg.

John
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

I do so miss it. I retired in 2006, eight months after Katrina and moved back to Florida. The hardest thing for me was not having a good restaurant within a stone's throw. The rack of lamb at Ciro's, I am definitely missing it now.

Have fun and stay safe.

Chris
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

You guys are SO entertaining. One minute you're about to launch into an ATTGATT flame war and the next you're old buddies from Louisiana.

You gotta love the internet!

Whatever you wear, keep on riding and posting your stories. :lol:
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

What you're seeing is the bond that exist(Ed) between Charity Hosp staff and the NOPD. Transcends any poss of a flame war.
I have gotten out of tickets by saying I was a Charity doc. And by the same token police always received special treatment by Charity staff. That didn't extend as much to state police.But we all look upon the city as that crazy hot girlfriend that we still run into
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

Oh yea, you never ticket a doctor or nurse who may one day be patching you butt up . . . :D Its just bad Ju Ju, Gris Gris, or whatever you want to call it. Charity was an asylum, figuratively speaking of course, but if you worked in the ER, it was full frontal. There were a few shoot outs, hostage scenarios, you name it. That old saying, "Crazy in the head, great in bed!" So describes NOLA.