New R12R owner

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
MMilbrett
Basic User
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:37 pm

New R12R owner

Post by MMilbrett »

Hello all!

I became the proud owner of a brand new Alpine White 2010 R1200R this last Friday. After having test rode just about all of the '09 GS's, I was talked into trying out the R... That was all it took. Traded in my VFR that I couldn't ride due to a pinched nerve in my neck and don't regret it one bit, except for 2 things, both will be taken care of in due time, though. 1) RUN IN! 4k comes up awfully fast in first and second gear... :D and 2) The saddle doesn't agree with me. I will have to take care of that sooner than later methinks.

Other that those 2 little non-issues, I am really enjoying the ride. So smooth, so gentle, so nimble...

Well, thought I would just chime in to say hi!

Mike
Alpine White 2010 R1200R
rockbottom
Basic User
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: New R12R owner

Post by rockbottom »

Congratulations. I immediately bought an Airhawk for mine and it fixed the saddle problem.
TAG-Caver
Basic User
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:49 pm
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New R12R owner

Post by TAG-Caver »

Welcome to the club! It's a great ride and if you don't like the stock saddle there are numerous options including the "comfort seat" from BMW, available in low and high models. One of the best investments/farkles on my bike was the comfort seat. Enjoy your ride!

Kevin
2008 R1200R
User avatar
Mark_1
Lifer
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 am
Donating Member #: 875
Location: Bay Area / Central Valley, Ca.
Contact:

Re: New R12R owner

Post by Mark_1 »

Congrats Mike,

I have a white 09, white looks great on this bike. Sounds like your are already on the expensive road to accessorizing.

Welcome to the club.

Mark_1
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright
bmwk100
Basic User
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:48 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Weston, FL

Re: New R12R owner

Post by bmwk100 »

Picked mine up Saturday and just got the 600 mile service done today. Now I can really ride it. I also ordered an AirHawk since the seat is not very comfortable. Really excited to push this little critter.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
Kieran R1200R
Basic User
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:18 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Adelaide South Australia

Re: New R12R owner

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Hay Mike what a great buy, and white too!!!
That's the best colour, you've done alright there.
Hope you and the bike has a good relationship and many miles together.
Welcome aboard, most of the guys here can answer all your questions.
Great to see another on a R1200R, what a great bike!

Cheers

Kieran =D>
dav
Lifer
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:14 am
Donating Member #: 798
Location: Albury, Australia

Re: New R12R owner

Post by dav »

Welcome aboard mate & congrats on your new steed.

Mate, while your out breaking in the new beast snap a pic & add it to the 'gallery' thread.
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
MMilbrett
Basic User
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: New R12R owner

Post by MMilbrett »

Been planning on doing just that, but haven't really had a nice sunny day here to use as a backdrop... Yeah, I know, "sunny" California, but its usually only sunny during the day, and working makes it hard to do anything during the day. :D

I *will* get a pic with something interesting in the background...

Mike
Alpine White 2010 R1200R
User avatar
fastdogs2
Lifer
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm
Donating Member #: 819
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: New R12R owner

Post by fastdogs2 »

Mike,

Welcome! I have a 2009 Alpine White. I know you will really enjoy your new bike.

Get the BMW Comfort Saddle and your seat problems will be solved.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
sky_sailor
Basic User
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Kenora, Ontario. Canada

Re: New R12R owner

Post by sky_sailor »

Bill, I'm picking up an '07 with the lowered seat. How much higher/lower than stock is the "comfort" saddle?
Lyle
When in doubt, chicken out...
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 9:21 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: New Jersey USA
Contact:

Re: New R12R owner

Post by deilenberger »

sky_sailor wrote:Bill, I'm picking up an '07 with the lowered seat. How much higher/lower than stock is the "comfort" saddle?
Lyle
There are actually two height "comfort" seats. The low one is perhaps 3/8" or so taller then the stock low seat. That's before it is broken in. It might well be the same height once broken in.

Been meaning to put mine on the bike to break it in - but the Sargent is really pretty comfortable (an excess of seats - almost as many as I have windshields now - is building up in the garage. I think I'm going to have a BMW garage sale sometime soon..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
User avatar
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:05 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Prairieville Louisiana

Re: New R12R owner

Post by ka5ysy »

deilenberger wrote:
sky_sailor wrote:Bill, I'm picking up an '07 with the lowered seat. How much higher/lower than stock is the "comfort" saddle?
Lyle
There are actually two height "comfort" seats. The low one is perhaps 3/8" or so taller then the stock low seat. That's before it is broken in. It might well be the same height once broken in.

Been meaning to put mine on the bike to break it in - but the Sargent is really pretty comfortable (an excess of seats - almost as many as I have windshields now - is building up in the garage. I think I'm going to have a BMW garage sale sometime soon..)

Actually, this is pretty good excuse to add another, spare, RR to the fleet. You know... just in case the final drive has spontaneous combustion. Or you use the wrong oil .... :smt077


BTW: Is "BMW Comfort seat" an oxymoron ? :-k
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Post Reply