Changing grips

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ron prior
Basic User

Changing grips

Post by ron prior »

Has anyone ever tried using Grab-on or Johar foam grips on a Roadster with heated grips?

I'm talking about cutting off the rubber & slipping the foam grip back over the heat element. I don't want to lose the heat of course [-X even though I do not use them too often.

Thanks, Ron
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Changing grips

Post by towerworker »

Here is a good YouTube video on repairing heated grips. His procedure on removing the rubber handgrip I had never seen. A bit of a warning though--he likes to use the F word a lot so be mindful of that if you have young kids that might be listening. But he seems very sharp and knowledgeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBX2qWHfHHc
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

Dead simple. Changed grips on several heated GS's. Carefully draw back the old grips making small incissions to cut the rubber open. Takes a couple of minutes on each side.
Afterwards take of all leftover rubber parts that might be sticking on the heat elements. Just be cautious not to cut the element.

Afterwards take a can of ultra strong hairspray, wrap a towel on all the parts you don't want to spray on. Spray the hoot out of the handlebar & inside the new grips (till the point it's dripping out), and quickly slide it on. You have some times to adjust the grips untill it tightens on the handlebar, and you're good to go. Will not come off afterwards, 15 minute chore (at most).
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

ldeijkva wrote:Dead simple. Changed grips on several heated GS's. Carefully draw back the old grips making small incissions to cut the rubber open. Takes a couple of minutes on each side.
Afterwards take of all leftover rubber parts that might be sticking on the heat elements. Just be cautious not to cut the element.

Afterwards take a can of ultra strong hairspray, wrap a towel on all the parts you don't want to spray on. Spray the ----- out of the handlebar & inside the new grips (till the point it's dripping out), and quickly slide it on. You have some times to adjust the grips untill it tightens on the handlebar, and you're good to go. Will not come off afterwards, 15 minute chore (at most).

Yes I know,..I was hoping someone may have tried the grips mentioned ?
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I don't about the grips you have mentioned but I replaced them on a F650 w/ heat and after doing it in a similar manner someone posted on one of the sites that a blast of air will make them go on easy without the mess.
jwagreen
Basic User

Post by jwagreen »

I purchased set of bmw spiral grips from wunderlich america for $37.00 and old ones came off in no trouble and these slid on over heated grip spiral tape. http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 90596.html.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

jwagreen wrote:I purchased set of bmw spiral grips from wunderlich america for $37.00 and old ones came off in no trouble and these slid on over heated grip spiral tape. http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 90596.html.

Yes I am aware of those thanks. I was only interested in info / experience with the two I mentioned. Grab-on & or Johar foam grips. I guess no one has tried them....so ! Guess I'll be the first.