R1150R burning oil
Moderator: Moderators
-
ed
R1150R burning oil
I have a 2003 r1150r. I bought it this past spring with 300 miles on it. I now have 5000 miles on it. I changed the oil several times. The bike is using approx 1/2 quart oil every 1000 mile. Is that normal? Also when I get on the gas, it puffs alittle smoke. I do have a Z-tek pipe eliminating the cat converter. Any ideas or am I just paranoid? Thanks
-
Capt. Blackadder
- Basic User
- Posts: 503
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:35 am
- Location: USA, Arizona, Chandler
- Contact:
Yup, you're paranoid.
Keep the oil level at the halfway mark, measured 15-20 minutes after shutting off the completely warm bike. Any higher and the motor will just burn it off. Also, don't forget... the manual only calls for an oil change every 6,000 miles which is plenty, especially considering that you're adding half a quart every 1,000 miles. Unless adverse conditions call for more frequent changes, of course.
If the oil burn rate is really bugging you, try an Italian Tune-Up: a top-speed, top-gear run at wide open throttle for at least 5 miles, if you have access to a long, straight stretch where the law won't catch you doing it.
Keep the oil level at the halfway mark, measured 15-20 minutes after shutting off the completely warm bike. Any higher and the motor will just burn it off. Also, don't forget... the manual only calls for an oil change every 6,000 miles which is plenty, especially considering that you're adding half a quart every 1,000 miles. Unless adverse conditions call for more frequent changes, of course.
If the oil burn rate is really bugging you, try an Italian Tune-Up: a top-speed, top-gear run at wide open throttle for at least 5 miles, if you have access to a long, straight stretch where the law won't catch you doing it.
Baldur - Black '03 R1150R non-ABS


Hi Ed,
I've got a 2002 R1150R with almost the same number of miles, and about the same amount of oil burn. I've burned a quart in the last 3,000 miles.
Do a search on this site. There are other posts about the bikes burning oil until they are broken-in. How many miles are required to break-in the bike? That appears to depend on the tolerances on the pistons on your bike, how you ride it, what oil you use, and where you keep the oil level on the window. Perhaps there are other important factors...just wait, and others will chime in.
I believe that Capt. Blackadder is "right on" with his post.
Relax, ride, and check the oil after you ride...and after you truly get the bike up to a stabilized temperature. On my bike, the (BMW 20W50) oil drains down and stabilizes in about ten minutes, and then drops further overnight. Check it on the center stand, and leave it on the center stand if you can.
As for riding it "like you stole it", just remember that "those guys/gals" can clock you when they are traveling towards you in the opposite direction lane. It just isn't fair.
-John-
I've got a 2002 R1150R with almost the same number of miles, and about the same amount of oil burn. I've burned a quart in the last 3,000 miles.
Do a search on this site. There are other posts about the bikes burning oil until they are broken-in. How many miles are required to break-in the bike? That appears to depend on the tolerances on the pistons on your bike, how you ride it, what oil you use, and where you keep the oil level on the window. Perhaps there are other important factors...just wait, and others will chime in.
I believe that Capt. Blackadder is "right on" with his post.
Relax, ride, and check the oil after you ride...and after you truly get the bike up to a stabilized temperature. On my bike, the (BMW 20W50) oil drains down and stabilizes in about ten minutes, and then drops further overnight. Check it on the center stand, and leave it on the center stand if you can.
As for riding it "like you stole it", just remember that "those guys/gals" can clock you when they are traveling towards you in the opposite direction lane. It just isn't fair.
-John-
Ed,
Take a look at the metal stamped plate attached to the frame just in front of the gas tank. You have to turn the handlebars to the left. On that plate is the month and year the bike was manufactured. Mine says 07/02, which means it was made in July of '02. However, I bought mine as an '03 model year bike. Who knows where or how they distinguish the difference. I don't think it even matters unless you have something different about the bike, like when the twin-spark came along in '04. Anyhoo! Tell us what the plate says!
I'd be interested in how long it takes for your bike to really break in good and stop the majority of the oil usage.
Yes, it is very normal and some believe that a faster, more aggressive run-in will hasten that period along. I tended to baby mine in the beginning and maybe that's why it took over 30,000 miles to stop using the oil. It DID do it gradually though. I now have 41,000 and besides needing some routine attention right now, it has been wonderful! (knock on wood).
Gotta go! CSI time.
Take a look at the metal stamped plate attached to the frame just in front of the gas tank. You have to turn the handlebars to the left. On that plate is the month and year the bike was manufactured. Mine says 07/02, which means it was made in July of '02. However, I bought mine as an '03 model year bike. Who knows where or how they distinguish the difference. I don't think it even matters unless you have something different about the bike, like when the twin-spark came along in '04. Anyhoo! Tell us what the plate says!
I'd be interested in how long it takes for your bike to really break in good and stop the majority of the oil usage.
Yes, it is very normal and some believe that a faster, more aggressive run-in will hasten that period along. I tended to baby mine in the beginning and maybe that's why it took over 30,000 miles to stop using the oil. It DID do it gradually though. I now have 41,000 and besides needing some routine attention right now, it has been wonderful! (knock on wood).
Gotta go! CSI time.
- Arbreacames
- Basic User
- Posts: 326
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:38 pm
- Location: Yorktown, VA
Perhaps, but at 45,000 miles I still use 1/2 qt for 1000 miles (300cc/1000km). What aggravates the problem is that we are supposed to keep the oil below the half point of the window. That range is only 250cc's or 500 miles! Annoying as hell if you don't like to travel with bottles of oil.Valueman wrote:As the miles go up, the oil consumption goes down.
Carlos D.
-
Daydream
Oil Consumption
Rode it like I stole it. Used oil. Then like a miracle, at 8000 miles, it stopped using oil completely. I still ride like I stole it and don't worry much about the oil - just tires - I use a lot of tires.
-
mistercindy
- Member
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 am
- Location: McKinney, Texas