"New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

dlemisch

Re: "New" Parabellum Replacement Windshield

Post by dlemisch »

I'm about 5'11.5" and I see over the top of the 26" shield no problem. I never have to look through the shield unless I want to, like when I'm really tired and rest my chest on top of my tank bag. The air does hit about the top 1/4 of my helmet but with absolutely no buffeting. I've read some complaints on this board of 1) light traveling up the screen from the headlight at night and 2) movement of the screen in the wind. There's some truth to both, but honestly I've never found either to be a bother.
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

OK about 500 miles on the Parabellum replacement windshield that bolts to the BMW tall touring bracket, using the Don C. block. This is the 24" windshield. I see over it with no problem and can see a spot on the road about 40-60 feet out which is recommended windshield height by the people at Laminar Lip.

Lots better. BUT....turns out wind noise is an issue. There is zero helmet buffeting... the wind noise is coming from the visor on the Shoei RF 1100. I 've made some adjustments to the visor but still no joy. When I pull the visor up.....no wind noise. Go figure.

Xprof reports quiet with his Cal Sci I think blocked up but he wears an open face helmet.

It's all a lot better but still....I'm using Heros black ear plugs and may try for something with more db reduction.

The new BMW "Low" comfort seat was very pricey but it is the answer for me. There was a guy at the class with a "high" comfort seat that he liked a lot but he had a 34" inseam so I'm not going there. My inseam is in the 29-30" range.

Tried the Throttlemeister too and they are quality and I like it but will take some getting used to re rolling on and rolling off the Throttlemeister without loosening it up and closing the throttle to release....I can apply it ok it's just the loosen up part I've got to work on....It's obviously not an electronic cruise control and you bettter remember it's on if you do a gear shift up or down.

Am practicing on the horn button. Every time I cancel the turn signal I put my left thumb on the horn button; it's getting into the lizzard brain slowly but surely.

More on the visor issue as I learn more...
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

It's not for everyone, but I really like my SAENG microswirl edging (see http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80). It does change/improve airflow over the shield edge, so maybe you might want to try it. It'll cost you around $50 for 4 feet, which would be a minimum. In fact, you might want as much as 6 feet, so measure first. Want to meet up in Capistrano or Dana Point for lunch the Friday, Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving? You could try mine, and I could try yours. Shoot me a PM if so...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
eddiepat62
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by eddiepat62 »

SADMAX - You're using a "Low" seat? Ugh. We are close to the same height and I had monkey butt with the normal seat. It was only after the King of the Alps suggested that I try the tall seat that my life became easier, and my butt less monkeyish.
Eddie F.
I LOVED my '07 R1200R
I LOVE my 2010 R1200R
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Low "comfort" is same height as normal standard. the middle height...Low standard was too low for me after I started riding a little better and didn't need to be both feet on the ground flat footed; also brought the rear suspension up to max at the same time as the dealer had it all the way down. So now it's low comfort actually std height and bike suspension up for my fatness. There is a pretty much huge diff on the comfort seat...it's just a better shape and it looks correct on the bike.

I think some of the aftermarket is a little to "Diamond Tuck and Roll" remenescent. Lot's of posts on this forum on the seats, read most of them; I'm good for now.