ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Moderator: Moderators
ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I'm a new member here, new owner of an '02 R1150R that needs a rear tire. ME Z4's are on the bike, and tired as they are I like them. I'm not impressed with their turn in on this bike, but my last bike was a GS. I'll ride pretty conservatively so I expect the Z6 Roadtec rather than the Interact should be my replacement for the Z4's. Anyone with SOP experience of both the 4's and Roadtec Z6? I'll replace front and rear.
-
boxermania
- Quadruple Lifer
- Posts: 3644
- Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:37 pm
- Location: Baton Rouge, LA.....aproaching retirement
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Z4's were original equipment in some of the '02 models as I had a st on mine. These have been superceded by the Z6's. There are probably very few Z4's left in stock and if they exist they are probably fairly old (older than 5 years) and not useable.
Based on your riding style I would suggest the Michelin, Pilot Road 2's, excellent tire and long mileage to boot
Based on your riding style I would suggest the Michelin, Pilot Road 2's, excellent tire and long mileage to boot
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Thanks for the tip, Mania. I've just spent some time with online reviews of the the PR2 and they do sound right - supple, sticky, good turn in, long lasting. I'll give them a go. Thanks again.
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I went from the Z4's to the Pirelli Diablo Stratas. I'm on my second set, You'd like the turn in better than the Z4s and I've gotton great mileage from them.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Keppelj,
Each tire mentioned so far has been happily run by Roadster owners. A frequent poster on this board, I cannot remember his name right now, also likes the offerings from Bridgestone.
mac
Each tire mentioned so far has been happily run by Roadster owners. A frequent poster on this board, I cannot remember his name right now, also likes the offerings from Bridgestone.
mac
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Mac, do you remember which he liked?
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I really liked the BT 021s from Bridgestone, but they only got half of the mileage as the Michelin Pilot Road 1. The Pilot Road 1 has been the best tire I have found for the R for me. Good in the dry, wet, and last a pretty long time. According to my tire insiders, the PR2 is good, but not worth the extra $ over the PR1.
The Bridgestones were stickier in the dry, but not as good in the wet. I didn't like the Z6 in the rain, or the squishiness(flexing) of the rear tire either.
The Bridgestones were stickier in the dry, but not as good in the wet. I didn't like the Z6 in the rain, or the squishiness(flexing) of the rear tire either.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Jeff, what's the difference between the "squishiness" you didn't like in the Z6' and the suppleness described as a feature of the PR2's? I like suppleness. BTW I am grateful for your patience in writing about this. I know that tires is a tiresome (!) subject that comes up constantly on cycle forums. But the market new and different compounds and shapes and they do make a difference.
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I have the PR2s now as replacements for the PR1s, I can't say exactly why but I like the feel of the PR1s better, especialy now that the PR2s are down to <50% of useful life. I can feel the tread grooves "vibrate" sometimes on the rear tire when leaned over deep into a curve. I got my first flat tire (roofing nail) last weekend at 80mph into a sweeping left curve! Got the bike pulled over safe but the tire heated up a lot and badly wore the tread down, so now I need new tires and am trying to decide between the Z6s, BT-021, or back to the PR1s.
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I just put a Z6 interact on the front about a month ago - so far I like it. I've been through many tires but never the PR2; I was about to order them and thought I would try the Z6 dual compound. I'll let you know how it works out.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
- iowabeakster
- Quadruple Lifer
- Posts: 1962
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
- Location: iowa city, ia
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
Excellent,
I've been looking forward to some feedback about the Interacts.
I've been looking forward to some feedback about the Interacts.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I lost traction a couple of times with the last standard Z6 I had up front, which is when I went to the Dunlop Roadsmart. The Roadsmart offered lots of grip but typical Dunlop cupping; decent mileage but not as many as I got with the Z6. So far I like the grip the Z6 Interact is giving me; and yes, I've been pushing them hard. 
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact
I just received my first set of the PR2 from www.derbycycles.net today. They should be on the bike in the next couple of days. I liked the PR1 the best out of the tires I have had on the R. The Z4 was good but discontinued, the Z6 didn't inspire confidence, the bt021 didn't last, and the PR1 was good in the wet, dry, and had good longevity.
I hope the PR2 are better than the PR1. We will see. I will report back after Hungry Mother.
I hope the PR2 are better than the PR1. We will see. I will report back after Hungry Mother.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!