ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Keppelj
Lifer
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Bellingham, WA

ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Keppelj »

I'm a new member here, new owner of an '02 R1150R that needs a rear tire. ME Z4's are on the bike, and tired as they are I like them. I'm not impressed with their turn in on this bike, but my last bike was a GS. I'll ride pretty conservatively so I expect the Z6 Roadtec rather than the Interact should be my replacement for the Z4's. Anyone with SOP experience of both the 4's and Roadtec Z6? I'll replace front and rear.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:37 pm
Donating Member #: 312
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.....aproaching retirement

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by boxermania »

Z4's were original equipment in some of the '02 models as I had a st on mine. These have been superceded by the Z6's. There are probably very few Z4's left in stock and if they exist they are probably fairly old (older than 5 years) and not useable.

Based on your riding style I would suggest the Michelin, Pilot Road 2's, excellent tire and long mileage to boot
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Keppelj
Lifer
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Keppelj »

Thanks for the tip, Mania. I've just spent some time with online reviews of the the PR2 and they do sound right - supple, sticky, good turn in, long lasting. I'll give them a go. Thanks again.
Airman
Basic User
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:47 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: South of Seattle

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Airman »

I went from the Z4's to the Pirelli Diablo Stratas. I'm on my second set, You'd like the turn in better than the Z4s and I've gotton great mileage from them.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:14 am
Donating Member #: 345
Location: Crumpler, NC USA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by machew01 »

Keppelj,

Each tire mentioned so far has been happily run by Roadster owners. A frequent poster on this board, I cannot remember his name right now, also likes the offerings from Bridgestone.


mac
Keppelj
Lifer
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Keppelj »

Mac, do you remember which he liked?
User avatar
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:55 pm
Donating Member #: 289
Location: Newark, OH

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Biff's R »

I really liked the BT 021s from Bridgestone, but they only got half of the mileage as the Michelin Pilot Road 1. The Pilot Road 1 has been the best tire I have found for the R for me. Good in the dry, wet, and last a pretty long time. According to my tire insiders, the PR2 is good, but not worth the extra $ over the PR1.

The Bridgestones were stickier in the dry, but not as good in the wet. I didn't like the Z6 in the rain, or the squishiness(flexing) of the rear tire either.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Keppelj
Lifer
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Bellingham, WA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Keppelj »

Jeff, what's the difference between the "squishiness" you didn't like in the Z6' and the suppleness described as a feature of the PR2's? I like suppleness. BTW I am grateful for your patience in writing about this. I know that tires is a tiresome (!) subject that comes up constantly on cycle forums. But the market new and different compounds and shapes and they do make a difference.
User avatar
BMWEW1
Basic User
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:31 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Washington, DC

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by BMWEW1 »

I have the PR2s now as replacements for the PR1s, I can't say exactly why but I like the feel of the PR1s better, especialy now that the PR2s are down to <50% of useful life. I can feel the tread grooves "vibrate" sometimes on the rear tire when leaned over deep into a curve. I got my first flat tire (roofing nail) last weekend at 80mph into a sweeping left curve! Got the bike pulled over safe but the tire heated up a lot and badly wore the tread down, so now I need new tires and am trying to decide between the Z6s, BT-021, or back to the PR1s.
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
User avatar
R4R&R
Basic User
Posts: 1696
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:59 pm
Donating Member #: 293
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by R4R&R »

I just put a Z6 interact on the front about a month ago - so far I like it. I've been through many tires but never the PR2; I was about to order them and thought I would try the Z6 dual compound. I'll let you know how it works out.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
User avatar
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
Location: iowa city, ia

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by iowabeakster »

Excellent,

I've been looking forward to some feedback about the Interacts.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
User avatar
R4R&R
Basic User
Posts: 1696
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:59 pm
Donating Member #: 293
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by R4R&R »

I lost traction a couple of times with the last standard Z6 I had up front, which is when I went to the Dunlop Roadsmart. The Roadsmart offered lots of grip but typical Dunlop cupping; decent mileage but not as many as I got with the Z6. So far I like the grip the Z6 Interact is giving me; and yes, I've been pushing them hard. :twisted:
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
User avatar
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:55 pm
Donating Member #: 289
Location: Newark, OH

Re: ME Z4 and Z6 Roadtec/Interact

Post by Biff's R »

I just received my first set of the PR2 from www.derbycycles.net today. They should be on the bike in the next couple of days. I liked the PR1 the best out of the tires I have had on the R. The Z4 was good but discontinued, the Z6 didn't inspire confidence, the bt021 didn't last, and the PR1 was good in the wet, dry, and had good longevity.

I hope the PR2 are better than the PR1. We will see. I will report back after Hungry Mother.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Post Reply